
He has to be one of the most unusual choices ever to front a political party. He has long been a devout man of God, not a politician, and when his new job was announced many people asked, Mvume who? Is he related to actor Hlomla?
MVUME DANDALA is the actor’s dad, of course. The 58-year-old Methodist Church bishop is also the man who’ll be the leader of the country if, as he fervently hopes, the Congress of the People (Cope) beats the ruling ANC in next month’s election.
Hlomla admits he was surprised when his dad accepted his high-profile job. “My father has always been politically active. I guess he felt it was time he got off the sidelines and got his hands dirty.”
He believes his dad will be good for the country. “His heart has always been in the right place,” Hlomla says. “I suppose this is a natural progression of the passion he feels for SA.”
Mvume is dressed in one of the stylish suits that now fill his wardrobe. “I have to start selling myself and this is all part of that,” he says, waving his hands over his outfit. “As a minister I moved in different levels of society and I have learnt it’s critical to dress decently. To do otherwise would be disrespectful.”
The son of a Methodist minister, he was raised in a disciplined home in rural Eastern Cape before being sent to Buntingville Boarding School in then Umtata.
In his matric year Mvume discovered his wild side and became far more interested in girls and partying than hitting the books. “I failed matric on my first try.”
For the next year he drove a taxi, fell in love and became a father.
But after 12 months he decided it was time to go back to school. He passed matric on his second attempt, then studied theology at various institutions.
For most of his adult life one woman has been at his side: Phumzile, his wife of 38 years. They met when they were students at Fort Hare University in the Eastern Cape and she has been a quiet force throughout his career.
The secret to their happy marriage is the fact they’ve remained friends, Phumzile says. “We tell each other the same stories over and over but still make each other laugh.”