
Not in his wildest dreams did he imagine entering the Mr South Africa contest would save his marriage, his self-esteem and probably his future. STEPHEN SEGAL, the hunk who walked off with the title in March, has a lot to be grateful for.
Months before his achievement the 29-year-old was in a bad place, he tells us. He was depressed, out of work and seriously overweight.
He tipped the scales at a hefty 112 kg after falling into the trap of comfort-eating - and he was extremely embarrassed about his appearance.
Thanks to a gruelling five-month fitness routine and with the help of a personal trainer and dietician Stephen shed 27 kg, buffed up and walked away with the title that catapulted Top Billing’s Michael Mol and Pasella presenter Dieter Voigt into the limelight.
Stephen, who was a clothing importer before recently switching to a career in photography, met his wife, ADELE, six years ago.
They dated long-distance for a few years and Stephen eventually moved his business to Gauteng to be with her.
And that’s when the wheels came off, he says. The business flopped, he became depressed, lost self-confidence and started binge-eating.
“Guys don’t usually discuss these things but I’m happy to talk about it. Hopefully my story will inspire others,” he says. “I’m a stress-eater and I get comfort from food.
“I entered (the Mr SA competition) because I needed something to make me feel worthy again, something to give me hope.”.
He submitted old photographs when he applied and was surprised when the organisers called to say he was in. “Which meant I had five months to lose the weight.”
Stephen’s radical body transformation was no walk in the park. His training, a combination of weights with cardio exercises, was “very intense and meant to shock the muscles”, he says.
His diet was also given a total overhaul and the results speak for themselves although the depression and weight gain seem to have left a mark on Stephen’s self-confidence because he’s still critical of himself. “I think I’m average looking. I believe I won Mr SA because of my personality.”
Despite this he has his sights set on becoming a TV presenter and winning Mr World in Seoul, South Korea, on 3 October. These days the photograph in his car is of the current Mr World, Juan Garcia of Spain. “I’m going all-out to win it,” he says with a smile.