Friday, 10 October 2008

Pip’s winning streak


You probably saw her pictures in the newspapers - PHILIPPA JOHNSON, the South African who stole so many hearts when she won two gold medals for dressage on her horse, Benedict, at the Paralympic Games in Beijing. But the tragic and moving story of how she got there is even more awe-inspiring.

Pip, as her family call her, thought she had it all - a loving family, her beloved horses and a dashing fiancé, horse-crazy United Nations pilot Mike Ashworth. Then tragedy struck. In October 1998 Mike, Philippa and her brother, Brett, were involved in a terrible car crash. Mike and Brett died; Pip was left semi-paralysed.

“Three of the five nerves that control my arm were ripped out. And the neurons that run down my spine were damaged so I lost the use of my right leg too,” Philippa (34) says.

Her recovery was slow and painful but she was determined to ride again.

She needed a year of physiotherapy and bed rest before she was allowed near a horse. “Then I did something really stupid,” she says. “I wanted to prove I was ready to ride again so I tried to mount my horse without help. I slipped and fell and broke my back.”

It was a huge setback that would see her in and out of hospital for months. As soon as she was able she travelled to the UK to spend time healing at the home of her mom’s best friend. Then she heard of a disabled rider and her coach, Pam Hutton. “I was so desperate to ride again I thought I’d contact Pam and see if she could help me.”

She could, and after much training and hard work Philippa turned professional and moved to Belgium where she “lost her heart” to Benedict, the horse that would carry her to Paralympic glory.

“A trainer once said something I’ll always remember,” Philippa says. “After all the crap I’ve been through, if I can just tough it out life will reward me with the most wonderful treasures. And it has.”

*Read more about Pip’s amazing journey from tragedy to triumph in the latest issue of YOU (16 October) - and what an inspirational story it is.