
Captain Courageous, Captain Braveheart, King Graeme the Lionheart - after heroically batting against Australia with a broken left hand and injured right elbow Proteas captain GRAEME SMITH has several new nicknames. And this time none of them is nasty.
People who used to criticise him now say he’s a cricket hero - he had a standing ovation from more than 9 000 mostly Australian spectators.
Behind the new Graeme is a man he calls his “life coach”. British sports psychologist Jeremy Snape has helped him grow both as a person and a player.
“I can connect with him because his understanding of what it takes for a player to be more focused is based on his knowledge of cricket and psychology,” Graeme says.
Jeremy joined the Proteas coaching team in 2008. His main aim was to help players stay focused in stressful situations.
“He’s particularly good at helping younger players stay calm when there are important decisions to be made on the field,” Graeme says. “South Africans tend to be very passionate and emotional. Sometimes you have to balance that pride with clear thinking.”
Graeme has also learnt to “get rid of all the noise in my life. I used to feel I had to prove myself to everyone as a player, a captain and a person. I probably had the wrong attitude towards the public.”
As a result he channelled too much energy into proving people wrong rather than into his game. “I had to decide how I wanted to be remembered one day and now I’m finally comfortable with myself.”
Graeme’s father, Graham Snr, has observed his son’s growing maturity, particularly in the past two years. “He started seeing things more in perspective; getting the bigger picture of what it means to lead a team. Like any other young man he tried to prove himself at first; to show he was the right man for the job.
“Now he believes in himself because others believe in him. I’m proud of the way he has grown.”